Martin has significant experience practising in all areas of employment, industrial relations and safety law. He has worked for a broad range of clients in both the private and public sector, including employers in the manufacturing, finance, retail, medical, pharmaceutical, security, emergency services and information technology industries.
Martin is known for taking a practical and commercial approach to resolving employment and workplace relations issues, and achieving desired outcomes for clients. He is highly responsive, avoids speaking in legalese, and is focused on doing what is best for his clients.
- drafting written employment contracts and service agreements, including senior executive contracts;
- advising employers on contemplated terminations of employment, restructures, performance management, bullying, managing ill and injured workers, and discipline;
- representing employers defending unfair dismissal, adverse action and discrimination claims;
- preparing and reviewing workplace policies and procedures and providing training, including on bullying, sexual harassment, discrimination, work health and safety, social media, IT and email, and whistleblowing;
- advising on enterprise bargaining and industrial dispute resolution;
- advising on the employment implications of corporate transactions, including due diligences, transfers of business, and the employment provisions in sale agreements from the perspective of both purchasers and vendors;
- advising employers on suspected breaches of post-employment obligations and the protection of confidential information and intellectual property rights• advising on superannuation obligations;
- advising on work health and safety issues, including processes, compliance and investigations; and
- defending employers in Worksafe prosecutions.