As a leading strategist who navigates successful outcomes from extraordinarily complex, document-laden cases, Paul has over 30 years’ experience in commercial litigation, various Federal and State Commissions of Inquiry and the defence of corporate prosecutions.
Paul’s extensive knowledge and skills are in the strategic management of the end-to-end litigation process, particularly involving complex issues.
It is always Paul’s intention to secure the right client outcome, whether through a commercial settlement, mediation, arbitration or court proceeding, at the earliest opportunity.
Paul has played a pivotal role in the management of a leading law firm as a member of various senior executive teams charged with enhancing the firm’s service standards, maintaining its reputation for professional excellence and optimising its operational performance and efficiency.
- acted in proceedings commenced against a NSW Government agency responsible for the development and management of public spaces, by a major construction company and prominent casino; involved in a peer review role as part of the litigation;
- acted in proceedings against a Sydney law firm accused of helping a mining group director with fraudulent activity;
- acted for Australia’s richest person, over control of a multibillion-dollar trust;
- retained by an international tobacco company in proceedings to retain use of confidential information and involving allegations of perversion of the course of justice and conspiracy;
- retained by a major Australian technology company in a dispute involving complex issues surrounding supply installation agreements, title to Australia-wide infrastructure and the interaction of insolvency and receivership laws on that title;
- acted for a major rail company in disputes arising from a multibillion-dollar contract to deliver the largest rolling stock order in Australia’s history; this train project ranks among the largest public-private partnerships in NSW history;
- retained by the joint venture of two major Australia/NZ infrastructure and facility management and industrial automation companies, on the resolution of multimillion-dollar claims arising from a South Australian power station;
- acted for a major multinational professional services network partner, in relation to the collapse of Australia’s second largest insurance company;
- appointed by the NSW branch of a well-known charity, to convene a Board of Enquiry to be chaired by a retired High Court Judge to enquire into serious allegations of widespread financial abuse in the workings of the State Branch over several years; proceedings were assumed by the NSW Government exercising its powers under the Charities Act;
- acted for the lead government agency for the NSW tourism and major events sector, in a coronial inquiry surrounding the death of a tourist attending the Vivid Sydney 2014 event;
- acted for a leading global mining group in a lengthy coronial inquest and associated prosecution arising from the collapse of a massive ore body in an underground mine in NSW;
- acted for the head of a major Church in Australia in respect of issues before a Victorian Parliamentary Inquiry and before the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.
Pro Bono & Community Work
Paul provides strategic pro bono advice to meritorious litigants, to enable claims to be funded or lodged.
- Finalist – Partner of the Year, Australian Law Awards 2021
- Finalist – Dispute Resolution, Lawyers Weekly Partner of the Year Awards 2021
- Finalist – Litigation, Lawyers Weekly Partner of the Year Awards 2020
- Recognised in Dispute Resolution and Litigation, Best Lawyers 2010 – 2022, Australia
- Doyle’s Guide to Leading Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Lawyers, NSW 2020
- Chambers and Partners Asia-Pacific 2010 – 2019, Australia, Dispute Resolution
- Leading Individual in Dispute Resolution, The Asia Pacific Legal 500 2012 – 2016
- Expert Guides, Litigation and Product Liability 2016 12th Ed
- Leading Lawyer, AsiaLaw 2014