Matthew is a litigation lawyer who specialises in corporate and commercial disputes. He has extensive experience in acting for corporations (both private and public) and high net worth individuals, across a broad range of areas with a focus on negotiating and resolving disputes prior to litigation – or, where necessary, pressing matters through the District and Supreme Courts of NSW, as well as the Federal Court of Australia.
Matthew has acted in many high-profile matters, including major pieces of complex litigation (both at first instance and on appeal) and a well-publicised inquiry. He prides himself on his relationships with his clients and forming a long-lasting rapport with those that he acts for.
- instructed by a large national charity to convene a Board of Enquiry, chaired by a former High Court Judge, for the purpose of enquiring into serious allegations of widespread financial abuse in the workings of the charity over several years; the Enquiry was subsequently assumed by the NSW government exercising its powers under the Charities Act;
- retained by an individual once described as ‘one of Australia’s richest men’ to pursue a multimillion-dollar claim against a suite of financing companies on account of their alleged improper dealings with his estate;
- acted for a large corporation in pursuing a multimillion-dollar fraud claim against a former director of that company, relating to the theft of monies by that director;
- retained by the proprietors of a valuable commercial development site within the Sydney CBD, to defend proceedings brought by neighbouring parties to have significant restrictions recorded on the title of that property, recordings which would have had a considerable effect on the developmental value of our clients’ property;
- acted for a plaintiff in a $2.5 million professional negligence claim brought against the plaintiff’s former solicitor;
- acted for numerous large investment banks and accountancy firms in a variety of diverse commercial disputes.