Leon is a highly experienced property lawyer in Melbourne, known for his exceptional proficiency and experience in:
- acquisition and disposition of all types of property assets
- commercial leasing and retail leasing
- off-the-plan residential developments
- compulsory acquisition
- management right transactions
Leon has distinguished himself as a rarity in Melbourne’s legal sphere. He is not only fluent in Chinese language (Mandarin) but is also fortified with top-tier legal expertise and real world experience. His demonstrated competence and proven track record are evident in his delivery of high quality legal services in property, construction (both front-end and back-end), and banking & finance. These services have left an indelible mark on some of Australia’s most significant property developments.
Before joining Cornwalls, Leon held the role of Special Counsel at one of the world’s largest global law firms. His extensive experience also encompasses five years as General Counsel and a senior management team member for various property development firms. During this time, he spearheaded the ideation, execution, and management of several iconic commercial and residential property projects across Australia.
Leon’s clients include international enterprises, property developers, funds, family offices and high net worth individuals.
Leon’s recent experience includes:
- Acting in the major lease preparation and negotiation for a major office tower asset, including all the tenancies in the building as well as the contract of sale preparation, negotiation and the sale of the $100m+ ‘ATO building’ located at Moonee Ponds, Victoria;
- Acting for the Landlord of Reservoir Central Shopping Centre in all retail leasing works for this mid-sized shopping centre located in Reservoir, Victoria. The scope of services includes master lease preparation, pro-forma heads of agreement preparation, lease negotiation, notice of default, lease related dispute resolution and most recently the contract of sale preparation in relation to the asset;
- Acting for the developer or The Evermore Melbourne in all property, construction, banking & finance and other general matters in relation to this twin tower development located at Southbank, Victoria, with a total development value of AUD$285 million. The main matters included construction facility agreement negotiation with an US institutional lender, day to day management on contract of sale (off-the-plan and post off-the-plan), dispute resolution in relation to the D&C contract and management right transaction;
- Acting for Queens Place, one of the largest mixed-use developments in Melbourne CBD with a total development value of AUD$1.2 billion. Leon’s main involvement included:
- Construction finance roadshow and negotiation with more than 30 lenders
- Reaching financial close with a non-bank US lender for an AUD$300 million senior debt construction facility, one of the largest transactions in Melbourne at the time
- D&C Contract negotiation with Multiplex
- Heads of agreement / lease negotiation for over 10 leases in the 350 Queen Street office building
- Dispute resolution and negotiation with the ‘anchor tenant’ of the building (30% NLA) in relation to its make good obligations at the expiry of the lease term
- Complex internal share / unit trust transactions and related dispute resolution
- Acting in the acquisition, commercial and retail leasing, and disposition of a large number of commercial real estate assets across Victoria;
- Acting in the proposed acquisition of a major town centre development site and the acquisition a number of commercial real estate assets across Victoria for a leading property developer;
- Acting for Newlink Energy in the due diligence, negotiation and acquisition of more than ten petrol station sites across Victoria;
- Acting for Urban Waste in successfully defending a major claim involving allegations in relation to facilitation and mis-use of confidential information;
- Acting for SIDG in relation to the Brice Terrence, a 20+ townhouse development located at Mooroolbark, Victoria;
- Acting for VIAPAC Group in a number of property, construction, and dispute resolution matters in relation to the OROS Apartment located at Oakleigh and Townhaus development located at West Melbourne;
- Acquisition of a number of $10 million+ prestige residential properties located at Toorak, Victoria;
- Acting for Han’s Group on various matters in relation to its AUD$500 million land acquisition in Sydney CBD; and
- Assisting a SPV backed by Chinese investors to set up complex unit trust / unitholders structure and acquired over 20 farming land parcels located at Grangefield, Melton and Meton South (including by ways of direct purchase, put and call option and nomination). The SPV has now become the single largest land owner in the entire precinct.
Leon is a member of the Executive Committee of the Chinese Chamber of Commerce Australia (CCCA).