Ian has amassed over 35 years’ experience in advising developers, national retailers and landlords in retail, commercial and industrial property transactions.
Ian’s practice focuses on commercial and property transactions, in particular acquisitions and dispositions, together with commercial leasing throughout Australia – with a particular focus on shopping and large format retail centres.
Clients seek Ian out for his comprehensive expertise and proficiency in the development, planning and leasing issues associated with complex, multi tenanted property transactions (sales and purchase), including shopping and large format retail centres and office buildings. Ian performs all due diligence, identifying potential impediments to investors, and undertakes the negotiation and structuring of purchase entities.
- One of Australia’s major large format retail groups regarding its involvement in Home Consortium’s acquisition of ‘Master’ sites, which included the acquisition of 19 freehold development sites nationally
- The purchasers of multi tenanted shopping and large format retail centres throughout Australia, involving negotiating and documenting the purchases, and undertaking due diligence to achieve a timely and effective settlement; this included reviewing and advising on all leases and tenancy matters under time constraints
- A major national retailer (as tenant) on retail and commercial leasing matters Australia-wide
- A major retailer (as landowner/developer) on the sale, purchase and development of multi tenanted sites
- A national property group on the development and construction of retail shopping centres and large format retail centres, and the leasing of such centres.
Pro Bono and Community Work
Ian is involved in the Gardenvale Masonic Centre as a Freemason, performing legal work for the Centre from time to time. He is also a member of the Elwood Talmud Torah Congregation (Synagogue) and is currently acting as its Honorary Solicitor.
Memberships and Associations
Law Institute of Victoria
Commercial Law Section (Law Institute of Victoria)
Ethics Liaison Group (Law Institute of Victoria)
Urban Development Institute of Australia (UDIA)
Large Format Retail Association (LFRA) (formerly Bulky Goods Retailers Association)
Bachelor of Laws (Monash University)
Bachelor of Jurisprudence (Monash University)
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice