Ian is an experienced commercial lawyer working principally with clients in the construction and maritime industries. He focuses on two primary objectives: protecting clients from avoidable and unnecessary legal and commercial risks; and quickly and efficiently resolving problems and disputes.
Ian’s commercial acumen added to 30 plus years of legal experience results in clients receiving considered and commercially balanced advice. He believes that, as a trusted advisor, to create real value for clients it is crucial to bear in mind their long-term goals and ambitions.
Ian regularly advises boards, state managers and CEOs, and represents several industrial organisations and employer groups. He is a regular speaker at state and national conferences and seminars. His special interest is security of payments and the development of a better business culture in the building and construction industry.
Ian’s experience in his principal areas of practice includes:
- drafting and negotiating construction contracts;
- contract advice;
- advising on payment issues and contract disputes;
- contract and statutory interpretation;
- commercial and business structuring and agreements;
- commercial advice (building and construction and marine industries);
- marine facilities (marinas, slipways, hardstands and wharves);
- marine businesses contracts and agreements;
- purchase, sale and charter of commercial and leisure vessels; and
- corporate governance.
Ian has served on the committees of various community organisations. He is currently the Honorary Secretary of the Moreton Bay Trailer Boat Club. Ian provides pro bono advice to groups seeking to reform the security of payment laws and the corporate culture in the building and construction industry.