Throughout the years Dennis has garnered extensive and diverse experience in the taxation and revenue law field, prior to joining Cornwalls as a Partner. Dennis provides practical and commercially focused taxation planning and structuring advice for privately owned businesses and Australian public companies.
He assists with mergers and acquisitions, and appropriate business structure including transformation from one structure to another. In addition, Dennis advises on international tax planning for inbound and outbound investments, restructures or disposals.
Dennis’ expertise also entails developing appropriate tax strategies for businesses, including managing and resolving taxation disputes with Australian federal and state taxation authorities.
He also advises boards and business owners on strategic issues and growth opportunities, including assessing possible acquisitions and new business ventures, and expenditure reviews.
During the AFL off season, Dennis enjoys his role as a regular commentator on business issues on radio station 3AW.
- the successful resolution of disputes with the ATO on numerous issues emerging from audits, including capital gains tax rollover issues, deduction issues and division 7A issues;
- the successful resolution of stamp duty, payroll tax and land tax issues with various state revenue authorities;
- advising on international tax structures for Australian based multinationals, particularly with respect to Asia, North America and Europe;
- advising on appropriate business structures for foreign multinationals coming into Australia;
- specific industry experience in the technology / software / IT services industries, as well as the media and entertainment industries and the property and construction sector;
- de-listing public companies and arranging shareholder buybacks; and• corporate advisory matters, particularly with respect to mergers and acquisitions of businesses.
Pro Bono & Community Work
Dennis is currently a director of the Melbourne International Film Festival and has held this role for six years.