David has worked for leading national and international firms for over 20 years. David’s clients have included the 4 major Australian banks, several international banks, Australian and international fintech companies as well as the Commonwealth and State Governments.
David has significant skills and experience in banking and finance and insolvency, and any new regulations affecting these sectors and business and government more generally.
One of David’s key strengths is his ability to master new areas of practice and any regulations that are relevant to his specialities. David seeks to be a thought leader, presenting and publishing regularly on new law and its implications for business.
With 6 years’ experience working in the legal arm of an international accounting and consulting firm, David works effectively in multidisciplinary teams with IT, information risk management, audit and business process re-engineering professionals.
- drafting and negotiating an A$55 million inventory finance facility for a leading financier servicing a multinational steel importer;
- acting for a leading Australian private group in the establishment and variation of an A$120 million syndicated facility, an A$50 million multi-currency facility and a US$7 million facility secured by moveable collateral;
- preparing documentation packages for financiers for new products, including those offered via electronic platforms, taking account of small business unfair contract terms, responsible lending and ipso facto issues;
- advising a leading international fintech company on regulatory issues in the Australian market in relation to data sharing and open banking;
- advising start-ups and international entrants to the Australian market on a range of blockchain-related regulatory issues;
- assisting an ASX listed Australian company with an AML/CTF Act exemption; and
- Advising Australian public and private companies on data breach incidents, the management of data breach notifications and other privacy and data protection issues, including the impact of the EU GDPR on Australian companies.
Pro Bono and Community Work
David has done pro bono and community work for a range of organisations over his career to date, including Women on Boards, World Vision and FareShare.