Yianni joined the Cornwalls team in 2019. He specialises in building and construction and acts for clients in front-end contract drafting, back-end contract disputes and litigation in Tribunals and Courts.
Yianni acts for a range of clients including principals, developers, builders, consultants, subcontractors and owners corporations.
Yianni has extensive experience in drafting and negotiating construction contracts (including Australian Standards contracts, Australian Building Industry Contracts (ABIC) contracts, Housing Industry Association (HIA) contracts, Master Builders Association (MBA) contracts), consultancy agreements and building tripartite deeds.
Yianni advises on various construction projects including residential, commercial and retail projects and understands the commercial complexities of the building and construction industry. He appears regularly in the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal and in Courts including the Supreme Court, County Court and Magistrates Court.
Yianni adopts a commercial approach to his practice and his knowledge in the building and construction industry assists him in understanding and meeting his clients’ needs.
Yianni’s recent experience includes:
- drafting, negotiating and finalising construction contracts including AS4000, AS4902, AS2124, AS4300, ABIC, HIA and MBA contracts;
- acting for principals, contractors and consultants in negotiating and finalising construction contracts, consultancy agreements and other contracts;
- acting in back-end construction disputes and litigation in Tribunals and Courts;
- providing advice on legislative and compliance requirements for participants in the industry and acting in regulatory matters;
- advising on security of payment claims for both claimants and respondents; and
- advising on domestic building warranty insurance claims and disputes.
Pro Bono & Community Work
Yianni works closely with Jobs Australia, the national peak body which helps not-for-profit employment and community services all over Australia to provide the best possible assistance to disadvantaged communities and people.