Terry is a highly experienced lawyer, having worked in private practice in both Australia and England for over 33 years, before joining the Queensland Bar as a Barrister in 2011.
He has appeared as a Barrister at 3 Royal Commissions of Inquiry.
Terry also has extensive skills acquired from his experience of sitting as a Coroner in England for 9 years, presiding over inquests and in general administration of the Coroner’s jurisdiction.
His experience lies within civil litigation and related areas, including commercial litigation, wills and estates, and contract and lease disputes.
Terry’s experience includes:
- Acting as a legal adviser to the Dover Harbour Board in England, a corporation of considerable size and diversity of activity. Work included acquisition of Crown land for expansion of the Port; representing the Board at Parliamentary Committee hearings; advising with respect to restructuring or the role and powers of the Harbour Police and managing the legislative changes required; acting on property acquisition and development in respect of all maritime and commercial agreements; and including the operating agreements of the major shipping companies using the Port;
- Acting for the Dover Harbour Board in maritime salvage proceedings, resulting in successful rescue of ships in the English Channel by the Board’s salvage tugs;
- Acting for the large sea passenger carrier, Hoverspeed, in respect of its licensing work in the South of England;
- Acting for a well-known conservative politician and a former Minister of State for Defence Procurement;
- Involvement in the acquisition and development of Coomera Waters on the Gold Coast and the Vision Project in Brisbane;
- Acting for farmer collectives in documenting complex arrangements in Water Supply Agreements;
- Liaising with Government Departments at all levels in acting for clients in respect of compulsory acquisitions, purchase of land, infrastructure agreements, water licences, titling, licensing and gaming, and vegetation management issues;
- Appearing at 3 Royal Commissions of Inquiry; and
- Various civil litigation matters in the Federal Court of Australia, Supreme Court of Queensland and District Court of Queensland.
- President of the South East England Coroners’ Society (1997-1998)
“The law seems like a sort of maze through which a client must be lead to safety; a collection of reefs, rocks and underwater hazards through which he or she must be piloted.”
– John Mortimer