Stephen’s practice reflects a career that has its foundations in property and business. His clients include property owners and developers, business owners, franchise chains and other corporates.
Over the course of his career, Stephen has acted in the sale and purchase of:
- investment properties
- development sites, including Melbourne landmarks
- countless hotels
- aged care facilities
- other businesses.
Stephen has acted for national retail chains, including franchised chains, in acquiring sites, negotiating leases and assisting with the management of their property portfolios. He works closely with our corporate team on the property aspects of mergers and acquisitions.
Stephen is an excellent draftsperson of transactional documents including business sale agreements, agreements for property joint ventures, agreements for lease and other commercial agreements.
Clients consider him a skilled negotiator who takes a commercial approach to efficiently achieve desired outcomes.
- the sale and purchase of farms and other rural properties; in the last three years, he has acted in the purchase of two Western District farms and the sale of another – all involved the aggregation of literally dozens of smaller farm properties and consideration of between $35,000,000 and $50,000,000, and two of these were among the 10 most valuable farms to have changed hands in Victoria over the last 12 months
- the sale of a development site in South Melbourne with a permit for more than 1000 residential apartments
- the restructure and the day to day issues arising from a fifty strong Victorian Hotel portfolio including liquor licensing advice, leases, sub-leases, tenancy disputes and supply agreements
- the sale of shares to effect the sale of that hotel portfolio including management of due diligence and tender processes, preparation of sale documentation, drafting of ongoing commercial agreements, negotiating consents from landlords, and devising and implementing strategies to minimise any ongoing liability under the leases
- acting generally on a $1 billion project for a racing club via a competitive tender for the right to develop surplus land
- acting in the property aspects of an oil company’s deal for the agreement to lease 80 petrol stations around Australia and the subsequent sale of some of those service stations to various property investment syndicates.
Pro bono and Community Work
Member of the Racing Appeals and Disciplinary Board (2009 – present)
- Bachelor of Laws (the University of Melbourne)
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice