With over 20 years’ experience acting for participants in the construction industry, Peter believes that he has achieved his goal to be a trusted and sought-out advisor to construction industry participants, from relatively minor to major national contractors. One of Peter’s key attributes is his sound commercial acumen. The fact that he is detail-orientated and yet does not find problems where they do not exist, is a key element of his legal approach.
Over the years clients have found Peter’s experience invaluable in contract negotiation, drafting and administration – at all levels, particularly contracts involving large-scale infrastructure projects that incorporate telecommunications and other technology. Peter also advises on dispute resolution and, where required, conducts complex litigation.
Peter is motivated by and focused on finding working solutions that are practical and effective for his clients. Interaction with the law is not always a keenly anticipated experience by clients; Peter strives to give his clients an interaction that is commercial rather than emotionally focused, producing the best possible legal and commercial outcomes.
A leading provider of information and communication technology to service providers regarding aspects of its contract negotiation with NBN Co for the roll out of Australia’s National Broadband Network
A major international communication technology company based in the United States regarding complex negotiations for the supply of equipment and services to NBN Co for the roll out of Australia’s National Broadband Network
A major international communication technology company based in Europe, relative to contracts including those for the design, supply, installation, integration and commissioning of:
- large screen video wall signage equipment, software and technical support
- video display equipment, software and technical support integrated into the control equipment for a New Zealand hydro power station
- video display equipment, software and technical support for road and rail network control rooms in Victoria and New South Wales
- equipment, software and technical support for incorporation into mission and support systems for defence purposes under a confidential contract and in particular for the protection of intellectual property
A major international communication technology company on the negotiation and drafting of the overarching terms and conditions of a long-term supply of information technology and associated hardware and software and related services to a state government Roads and Marine Services Authority
- A company that specialises in the design, manufacture and implementation of materials-handling solutions regarding contracts including those for the design, supply, installation, integration and commissioning of specialist equipment for:
- an explosives plant
- a cyanide processing and packaging plant
A major food packaging company regarding a contract for the purchase, installation, integration and commissioning of a new automated production line
A statutory body owner of a major sewage treatment plant regarding technical difficulties associated with its contract for major upgrade works including the implementation of secondary treatment facilities
Various clients on major infrastructure projects, including PPP, Alliance and other hybrid contracts for roads, bridges and other major transport infrastructure.
PRO BONO AND COMMUNITY WORK
Peter has undertaken varied pro bono work throughout his career, including holding a position on the board of a charity that supplied crisis housing for homeless children and adolescents, working for clients with limited funds, ineligible or partially eligible for legal aid and as a rostered duty solicitor for those seeking bail and other outcomes relating to criminal matters.
Bachelor of Laws (the University of Melbourne)
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
High Court of Australia