John has been with Cornwalls for 60 years; this includes 20 years as Managing Partner.
He has extensive experience in setting up corporate structures for not for profit organisations, with particular expertise in relation to religious and charitable groups.
In addition, John recently completed his Master of Laws at the University of Melbourne, with a thesis entitled ‘Implications of Canon Law for Church Organisations Operating in Australia’
- acting for and advising over a dozen religious orders, both male and female, of various denominations
- setting up corporate structures that comply with both civil law and canon law
- resolving property and financial disputes between organisations within the same Church
- advising New Zealand organisations on the New Zealand Charities Act
- arranging DGR and income tax exemptions for not for profit and charitable organisations
- setting up charitable foundations.
Pro bono and Community Work
All John’s advisory work is pro bono, with concessional rates on costs for the legal implementation of new structures.
Memberships and Associations
- Member of the Order of Australia
- Melbourne Cricket Club
Life Member – Little Frankston Golf Club
- Bachelor of Laws (the University of Melbourne)
- Master of Laws (the University of Melbourne)
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice