Eli is a Fintech and Commercial lawyer with an extensive commercial background in finance, technology and innovation.
In his legal career to date, Eli has advised on corporate and commercial matters with a focus on financial services law. Eli serviced Fintech clients on Australian regulatory compliance including AFSL and AUSTRAC requirements. He also advised on a range of commercial matters including matters relating to incorporation, capital raising, commercial contracts and dispute resolution.
Eli’s corporate career included work in financial planning and corporate finance as well as advisory roles in strategy, innovation and commercialisation. In those roles, he worked for a financial planning practice, a stockbroking firm and a state-owned energy utility. Eli also advised a number of start-ups in Legaltech, Regtech, Proptech and Fintech.
Eli’s recent experience includes:
- advising a crypto-asset trading platform on its regulatory compliance requirements (AFSL and AML/CTF);
- advising a fund regarding the establishment of an Early Stage Venture Capital Limited Partnership;
- advising an Australian unregistered Managed Investment Scheme on AFSL and regulatory requirements;
- advising an Asian payment gateway provider entering Australia on its NCP (non-cash payment) status and its obligations with AUSTRAC;
- developing Software Development and Service Level Agreements for an online trading platform;
- acting for licensees of a national autopart distribution network regarding a termination of a licensing agreement;
- capital raising support for an RFID asset-management platform;
- advising companies and individuals on the establishment of secured loans; and
- advising trusts, companies and foundations on incorporation and structuring.
Pro Bono & Community Work
Eli serves on the Access to Justice and Technology and IP committees of the Law Society of WA. Eli has been active in mentoring startups through SOSV and OneLenz. He has been a keen supporter of the Open Law movement as chapter president of Perth Legalhackers and as a working group member of the Accord Project.
Eli also serves on the board of the EMMM Foundation and the ANZ India Business Chamber.
“The people who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world are the ones who do.” – Steve Jobs