We are one of the leaders in Canon Law in Australia. We work closely with Church leaders and ensure our advice complies with Church regulations and statutory law, to reach successful outcomes and resolutions.
Cornwalls has acted for religious organisations for over 50 years and has developed strong expertise in this area over that time. Our specialist team headed by John Date OAM utilises a combination of statutory law and Canon Law to provide comprehensive advice to religious organisations.
We work closely with Church leaders and ensure our advice complies with Church regulations and statutory law to reach successful outcomes and resolutions.
Our team has a high level of understanding of Canon Law, especially of Book V of the Canon Law Code, which provides for matters of property, finance and corporate structure.
Our work for religious organisation clients includes incorporating trusts, corporate restructures, constitutions, property, construction, property disputes, mediation, information technology, abuse claims, deceased estates, wills, powers of attorney, finance and planning.
- Deceased estates
Finance and planning
- Powers of attorney
- Acting for and advising over a dozen religious orders, both male and female, of various denominations
- Setting up corporate structures that comply with both civil law and canon law
- Resolving property and financial disputes between organisations within the same Church
- Advising New Zealand organisations on the New Zealand Charities Act
- Arranging DGR and income tax exemptions for not for profit and charitable organisations
- Setting up charitable foundations
- Sexual abuse cases
- Advising religious orders on the application process and operation of the new Redress Scheme.